CEI Medical Group
California Ear Institute
Global Hearing
California Face & Laser Institute icon

Meningioma

WHAT IS MENINGIOMA?

Meningiomas are tumors which develop in the meninges, the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. Most meningiomas (90%) are benign, with the remaining 10% being cancerous. However, the word “benign” is somewhat misleading under these circumstances, as a benign meningioma can affect the brain to the point of causing significant disability or even death. Meningiomas located near the hearing and balance systems may produce corresponding symptoms.

WHO IS AT RISK FOR MENINGIOMA?

Meningiomas commonly affect individuals between the ages of 40 and 70 years old. They are more common in women than in men. Meningiomas are extremely rare in children, with pediatric patients accounting for less than 2 % of cases. The only known predisposing factors associated with meningiomas are certain genetic disorders (neurofibromatosis) and radiation exposure. Some researchers report an association between menigianoma and head trauma.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF MENINGIOMA?

Meningiomas may cause seizures, neurological defects, headaches, arm or leg weakness and vision loss.

HOW IS MENINGIOMA DIAGNOSED?

A Meningioma diagnosis is made after a comprehensive medical examination by an otologist and a series of neurological examinations in conjunction with a contrast enhanced imaging scans (CT or MRI) scan.

CONCLUSION:

Treatment for meningioma requires a comprehensive medical examination and specialty care from an otologist, who is an otolaryngologist (ENT) who has undergone two additional years of training and specializes in issues related to the hearing and skull based disorders. With appropriate medical treatment and therapy, individuals diagnosed with meningioma can make a partial or even full recovery.

Click here to make an appointment with the California Ear Institute to consult with one of our board certified otologists regarding your condition.


 

 

 


 
California Ear Institute